Stretching. I've always thought of that word in its literal term; such as stretching your muscles post workout.
Stretching is just one of those things that you have to do, right? It sometimes feels good, and other times it just increases the burn that much more. Among many other benefits, stretching is part of the building muscle process (growth!). But the consequences of not taking that 5 to 10 minutes to stretch are rather serious: You are going to not only going to wake up feeling all sorts of aches and pains, but you are also going to be 10x more prone to an injury.
So you can imagine my confusion, while out walking one blistery January day, disclosing (well, more realistically -- pouring my heart out) to my life coach about my "workout dilemma" when she turned to me and said with much certainty, "You're stretching".
My immediate thought was "No....I'm....walking?" - AND THEN it occurred to me she meant I was in a stretching period of my life. I was at fork in the road; one direction kept me comfortable where I was and the other required me to face change -- big change -- as it related to my workout regimen. I didn't know if wanted change. Was I ready for it? I was quite happy with where I was, but...definitely intrigued by other opportunity.
Hmm stretching, indeed.
So, tonight, I was hoping to update all of you on my "gym affair", but before doing so it sounds like I need to address a topic of seemingly interest . Since my post yesterday, I have received several emails in regards to two things in particular: 1. Inquiries as to why I am no longer training with my previous personal trainer; and 2. What is my current workout routine?
I am so glad you asked.
I'll save the workout routine for tomorrow, and tonight, focus on my "stretching period" with the change in my personal trainer at the center.
Cari Draft, also know as Fit Girl Cari, Personal Fitness Trainer, & Owner of EcoTrek Fitness (outdoor group workouts) as well as creator of the highly sought after EcoTrek Whole Food Bars, and I worked together for seven months - starting in June 2011.
It was the first time in my life that I had proven to myself that I could indeed commit to workout regimen. I overcame my on-again/off-again relationship, and instead, found myself continually hungry for more! I've said it before, and I will say it again: Calling Cari was easily the best decision I could of made for myself at that time. Read more about my workout regimen with Cari here.
Fast forward. Over the holiday break (end of December 2011), my brother, Travis, and sister-in-law, Jenny Hansen, National NPC competitor (who by the the way just placed 2nd at Nationals), came home and I had the opportunity to train with them at my oldest brother's home gym. I left my "Cari" workout at home, and completely submitted myself to whatever routine they wanted to throw at me. I wanted to get an idea of what a "Day in the Life of Weight Training" was all about it. Honestly, I had no idea how much I would love it. I left that day wanting more. Later that night, dressed up for our Christmas gathering, my brother (pictured below) says to me that I should consider a bikini competition...one day. "Who me?"
The seed was planted....
Fast forward again. First of January 2012, I go in to see Dr. Kik, chiropractor/fitness coach, and he approached me with a Phase 1 weight training regimen - ultimate goal to build lean muscle mass / lose fat. The program breaks down various muscle groups and calls for high (and I mean crazy high) reps. I was intrigued, but at the same time scared to death. I had previously been training in the comfort of my home. I loved my trainer. Was I really considering this? The workout training he was proposing required joining a gym. To me - gym = failure. Every time I had tried the gym in the past, I failed. Was this time going to be any different?
Fast forward just one more time back to that blistery day the end of January. I realized at this moment that this was my opportunity to stretch. To try something new - a whole lot of new - and see what happens. While yes, the very thought of switching personal trainers felt like I was cheating, however, I knew ultimately I had to do what was best for me . I had complete confidence that my relationship with Cari would be unscathed. She ultimately wants me to achieve my goals; I had no doubts that my motivations would be supported.
So, naturally, I stretched and joined a gym. Just like the "real" stretching, it burned just a little...and then became second nature. I have since pushed more weight than I ever thought possible. And know what? I am JUST getting started.
Sometimes stretching is really uncomfortable. But, you gotta do it to build...to grow.
Keep it Clean & Don't be Afraid to Stretch a Little!
Mrs. Skinny Fat
Stretching is just one of those things that you have to do, right? It sometimes feels good, and other times it just increases the burn that much more. Among many other benefits, stretching is part of the building muscle process (growth!). But the consequences of not taking that 5 to 10 minutes to stretch are rather serious: You are going to not only going to wake up feeling all sorts of aches and pains, but you are also going to be 10x more prone to an injury.
So you can imagine my confusion, while out walking one blistery January day, disclosing (well, more realistically -- pouring my heart out) to my life coach about my "workout dilemma" when she turned to me and said with much certainty, "You're stretching".
My immediate thought was "No....I'm....walking?" - AND THEN it occurred to me she meant I was in a stretching period of my life. I was at fork in the road; one direction kept me comfortable where I was and the other required me to face change -- big change -- as it related to my workout regimen. I didn't know if wanted change. Was I ready for it? I was quite happy with where I was, but...definitely intrigued by other opportunity.
Hmm stretching, indeed.
So, tonight, I was hoping to update all of you on my "gym affair", but before doing so it sounds like I need to address a topic of seemingly interest . Since my post yesterday, I have received several emails in regards to two things in particular: 1. Inquiries as to why I am no longer training with my previous personal trainer; and 2. What is my current workout routine?
![]() |
| Cari & I goofin' around at a fall Fitness shoot. |
I am so glad you asked.
I'll save the workout routine for tomorrow, and tonight, focus on my "stretching period" with the change in my personal trainer at the center.
Cari Draft, also know as Fit Girl Cari, Personal Fitness Trainer, & Owner of EcoTrek Fitness (outdoor group workouts) as well as creator of the highly sought after EcoTrek Whole Food Bars, and I worked together for seven months - starting in June 2011.
It was the first time in my life that I had proven to myself that I could indeed commit to workout regimen. I overcame my on-again/off-again relationship, and instead, found myself continually hungry for more! I've said it before, and I will say it again: Calling Cari was easily the best decision I could of made for myself at that time. Read more about my workout regimen with Cari here.
Fast forward. Over the holiday break (end of December 2011), my brother, Travis, and sister-in-law, Jenny Hansen, National NPC competitor (who by the the way just placed 2nd at Nationals), came home and I had the opportunity to train with them at my oldest brother's home gym. I left my "Cari" workout at home, and completely submitted myself to whatever routine they wanted to throw at me. I wanted to get an idea of what a "Day in the Life of Weight Training" was all about it. Honestly, I had no idea how much I would love it. I left that day wanting more. Later that night, dressed up for our Christmas gathering, my brother (pictured below) says to me that I should consider a bikini competition...one day. "Who me?"
The seed was planted....
![]() |
| Day in the Life of Training with Travis & Jenny Hansen Loved pushing myself to new limits! |
Fast forward just one more time back to that blistery day the end of January. I realized at this moment that this was my opportunity to stretch. To try something new - a whole lot of new - and see what happens. While yes, the very thought of switching personal trainers felt like I was cheating, however, I knew ultimately I had to do what was best for me . I had complete confidence that my relationship with Cari would be unscathed. She ultimately wants me to achieve my goals; I had no doubts that my motivations would be supported.
So, naturally, I stretched and joined a gym. Just like the "real" stretching, it burned just a little...and then became second nature. I have since pushed more weight than I ever thought possible. And know what? I am JUST getting started.
Sometimes stretching is really uncomfortable. But, you gotta do it to build...to grow.
Keep it Clean & Don't be Afraid to Stretch a Little!
Mrs. Skinny Fat


Awwwww... I LOVE THIS, Tonya. I didn't feel an explanation was necessary, but I'm glad you took the time to explain to those who didn't understand, thanks ~ we will still keep in touch & I'm ever-supportive of your newly-elevated goals, of course!
ReplyDeleteKeep reaching for the stars! :-)
~ Cari