video

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Freezing Whole Tomatoes

I absolutely love this time of year. I honestly do not think I would ever tire of stuffing my face with all of the glorious seasonal bounty!  I am, however, getting a little anxious knowing that it's all too close to coming to an end.  The thought of going back to the grocery store for all my produce is extremely unappealing!

Thankfully, it's easy to preserve some of my favorites; blueberries, peaches, green beans and tonight, I have tackled tomatoes. 
Freezing tomatoes whole is the quickest method for processing them – period!  Who doesn't love a fresh Michigan grown tomato?  It's the ideal touch to a cold winter night - make your own pasta sauce, add it to a pot of chili, or soup...yum!

I picked up a 1/2 Bushel of Fresh Michigan Grown Tomatoes for $14.99.

How to Freeze Tomatoes Whole, Unpeeled
  • Wash tomatoes.
  • Remove stem scars - the "core" (see video and photos below) and any other bruises/defects.
  • Place tomatoes in a single layer on baking sheets so that they don’t touch.
  • Let tomatoes freeze until solid, about 2 hours
  • Remove tomatoes from freezer. Work quickly to transfer to containers and seal.
  • Label tomatoes with name and date. Return them to the freezer until ready for use - Simple!

All washed and ready to have stem scars removed.
Example of what I mean by stem scar...

And here it is with the stem scar removed and ready to go! 

Check out video below for further details...

Ready for freezing...
Pre-frozen tomatoes placed in zip lock baggy all ready for me come winter!

To use frozen whole tomatoes, remove them from the freezer. Select a few at a time to use or thaw the entire container/zip lock baggy.

To peel frozen tomatoes, remove them from packaging containers. Run them under lukewarm water for several seconds. Skin will peel off easily.  However, I prefer to leave the skins on (more nutrient dense) unless making pasta sauce. 

Be sure to let tomatoes defrost completely in a bowl or by setting the container in the sink before using in your sauce, soup, etc.


It's really that simple...Enjoy!


Keep it Clean & Enjoy the Ride,
Mrs. Skinny Fat


No comments:

Post a Comment