Until recently, I was convinced that I didn't really "care" for squash. Thankfully, my mother showed me differently. Thanks Mom! Sometimes it just takes someone else to make you a certain food - with love of course - to become a fan yourself. Now, I'm exploring with all sorts of winter squash delish! What I love most about squash is that it fills you up, not out! Yep, I'm determined to make the most out of squash season.
According to Oxygen Magazine (January 2011 edition), winter squash provides six grams of fiber and has a 90 percent water content, thus is considered the perfect "volumetric" food (it gets you full on few calories), which is an important factor in promoting fat loss. The article goes on to say that a recent study from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that increasing portions of vegetables and decreasing portions of grains not only resulted in greater vegetable consumption, but also decreased calorie intake at that meal by 14 percent. Not to any of our surprise, the take home message is that eating more fiber-packed vegetables throughout the day, such as squash, is an great tool to help control calories and keep your hunger level in check. Another bonus about becoming a fan of squash? How about that you can pick up a handful of them for around 2 bucks. Such an inexpensive way to add nutrient-rich foods to your diet!
The following recipe was taken from "The Best of Clean Eating" (page 131), named Low-Carb Spaghetti Squash with Spinach, Garlic & Pine Nuts, and was only ever so slightly modified. Mmmm....I'll let the picture tell you just how good it was!
 |
End Result Mouth-Watering Teaser :) The combination is scrumptious! |
Ingredients
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray - I used an organic canola cooking spray
- 1/2 (3lb) spaghetti squash, seeds scooped out - I didn't weigh mine...I just picked up a smaller sized squash as it was just me in the house
- 1 Tbsp olive oil divided - I used soy oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/3 Cup Low-Sodium Vegetable or Chicken Broth - I used organic vegetable broth, no salt
- 1/4 Tsp sea salt, divided
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper - I added this at the very end
- 1 (10 oz) Bag Spinach
- 1 1/2 Tsp Pine Nuts, Toasted, for Garnish - I used a couple small handfuls of each raw pecan and pumpkin seeds, toasted
Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Place squash, flesh down, on sheet and bake until easily pierced with a fork, 50 to 60 minutes.
- When squash is about 10 minutes from being done, warm half tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for one minute. Stir in broth, on-eight teaspoon salt and red pepper (I added the red pepper flakes at the very end on top of everything - so good!), if desired. Add spinach, handfuls, at a time, stirring until it's all in the skillet and wilted. (Don't over-do the spinach - just lightly cook it down). Turn off burner and cover to keep warm.
- When squash is done, use a fork to separated strands into a medium bowl. Add remaining oil and salt, and toss gently.
- Transfer "spaghetti" to plates or platter, top with spinach mixture, garnish with pine nuts (or whatever nuts your heart desires) and serve.
To toast your raw nuts, simply place them on a foil and stick in oven (400 degrees) for 7 to 10 minutes. So tasty!
 |
Prepping the Spaghetti Squash... First you gotta muscle up and slice in half |
 |
| Then scoop out the seeds... |
 |
Place each half face down on the pre-sprayed pan as shown... Bake for about 50 minutes, or so... |
 |
| Garlic and Spinach - Yum! |
 |
| Squash is now ready to become "Spaghetti"! |
 |
Layered to perfection. Spaghetti Squash, topped with Spinach,
topped with toasted raw Pumpkin Seeds and Pecans and sprinkled with organic red pepper flakes! |
In the words of Neil Diamond....
"So Good, So Good, So blankety blank Good!" (Okay, all but the blankety blank part!)
Keep it Clean & Enjoy the Ride,
Mrs. Skinny Fat
No comments:
Post a Comment